Friday 4 June 2010

Motel day 3


Motels suck.

I just did three days in a motel in Seattle - some time of from couchsurfing - and I have to say it's depressing. I won't do it again.

I couldn't do this trip without couchsurfing. Not just financially, but also the social aspect. Staying with people stops any loneliness.

I'm on a guy's mailing list who I met in Tennessee who was going on a trip round Europe. I kept telling him to do couchsurfing but he didn't do it. It would have made for a completely different trip for him.

"Hi Hi,
I have been sick to my stomach for the last 5 days. This was probably caused by the soup I ate in Poland or maybe it was the water in Stockholm? I have eaten a whole pack of Imodium Plus and have finally regained some sort of appetite but am still pretty weak.
 
Stockholm is pretty nice looking city of what I've seen but very expensive with hostels in the $50+ US/ day range and food is $20 for a sandwich and a beer. Weather is on the cool side and it is light outside from 300 AM to 1100 PM. 
 
I think I've lost interest in this whole backpacking Europe thing and will return to the US to where I can enjoy some golfing and where it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. The hostels are filling up due to the summer tourist season and planning 3 - 4 days ahead isn't cutting it. It seems I am becoming less efficient in the planning/budgeting area and losing the netbook doesn't help. I have been here over 2 months and that is plenty of time to figure out that I know completly nothing about Europe.
 
Did I give up,
Paul"

No comments:

Post a Comment